Miami Herald: European survivors of crash in which Cuban dissident Payá was killed insist it was an accident

July 31, 2012 9:35 amComments OffViews:

Two European politicians who survived the crash in which Cuban dissident Oswaldo Payá died have denied claims they were driven off the road by another vehicle, appearing in person and in a video before journalists Monday in Havana.

The government-arranged presentation did nothing to assuage Payá’s relatives, who are demanding to speak in person with the Europeans, or human rights activists who say they will not trust anything the survivors say until they are safely out of Cuba.

The version told by the Europeans hewed to the government’s description of the car crash July 22 near the eastern city of Bayamo that killed Payá, 60, and Harold Cepero, 31, a member of his Christian Liberation Movement.

Angel Carromero of Spain, who was driving, and passenger Jens Aron Modig of Sweden, both 27, suffered minor injuries. Carromero is in police custody while Modig is being held by immigration officials. Neither had been seen in public until Monday.

In a video apparently recorded as Carromero spoke with authorities investigating the crash, the Spaniard declared that his rented Hyundai Accent was not rammed by another vehicle but tried to sidestep personal responsibility for the crash.

“No other vehicle hit us from behind. Simply, I was driving, saw a pothole and took the precaution of any driver, which is to brake lightly. The car lost control,” he said.

The government’s version is that Carromero missed a road sign warning of repairs ahead, was speeding when he hit a dirt section and then slammed on the brake too hard, loosing control of the car on the gravel and crashing into a tree.

Carromero, a leader of the youth wing of Spain’s ruling Popular Party, also makes as plea on the video to leave Cuba, where he could face one to 10 years in prison if convicted of causing the fatal accident.

“As for the news reports that I have been allowed to read, I ask the international community to please focus on getting me out of here, and not on using a traffic accident, which can happen to anyone, for political ends,” the Spaniard says.

Appearing in person before foreign journalists in Havana, Modig said he was snoozing when the car crashed and added, “I have no recollection that any other car was involved in the accident,” according to the journalists’ reports.

Modig also referred to his memory when asked about claims by Payá’s relatives that he had sent text messages from his cellular phone to contacts in Sweden, before or after the crash, reporting his car had been rammed by another vehicle.

“I don’t remember. I was simply informing that I was well after the accident,” declared Modig, president of Youth League of Sweden’s Christian Democratic Party. “I sent text messages, I don’t know to how many people, after the accident.”

Asked if he will change his version of the crash once he leaves Cuba, the Swede replied, “In this case my apologies are honest. All the Cubans that I have met here … have been kind, have treated me well.”

Payá’s widow, Ofelia Acevedo, told El Nuevo Herald on Monday that she would continue to push to meet with the Europeans in person, to hear their version of the crash, because the Cuban government cannot be trusted to tell the truth about her husband’s death.

Original Article: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/30/2921852/european-survivors-of-crash-in.html#storylink=cpy

 

Comments are closed